For those who claim that advocacy of “doing something” about AGW is not political, I have a little project for you to work on: Design a policy for dealing with the following scenario: Minimizing the impact of a externality of all or virtually all economic activity. You are not allowed to use any of the following:
- New/higher taxes
- Fake Commodities (“offsets” or “allowances”)
- New or existing government Agencies apart from basic Executive and Legislative bodies i.e. the Congress and existing regular law enforcement bodies
- All expenditures must come out of the existing budget AND NOT ADD TO IT
- Raise energy prices
- Restrict imports/exports
- Create any extra-national body with any kind of extra-Federal authority (No “global government”)
- No attempting to alter people’s behavior.
- Nothing stupid that does not work (that is, which does not accomplish the task at hand)
- Geoengineering-too risky and expensive
I realize this is a tall order. But just think: If you can succeed and then get Congress to do this instead of the crap they are pulling right now, I would have absolutely no reason to object to it! Wouldn’t it be sweet to shut up those darn AGW dissidents once and for all?